Sunday, September 2, 2012

that one time when i thought i was adopted

i called my sister yesterday before i headed to work. my question to her was...
how old was i when you told me i was adopted? she sighed before she answered. i think, maybe she still feels a little guilty about it (its okay maude, i love your guts!) after a lengthy conversation we determined our parents were still married, so that put me around three.

you see i had no clue what it meant to be adopted. my sister told me i was, and mom and dad would be mad if they found out i knew about it. i understood what a secret was-so i kept it. i was 9 or 10 when the truth came out. funny how things slip your mind and big sisters forget to un-tell little sisters things. i am laughing while i'm typing this because kids can be such little shits (remind me later and i'll tell you the tale how my big sister and i convinced our little brother he was invisible).

the truth. i was in elementary school. we moved again, which meant a new school and making new friends. these were the days when i would just ask "do ya want to be my friend?" no sense in wasting anyones time, right? my new friends where twins. i thought it was the coolest there was two of them and i decided i wanted to be a twin. i wondered if when i was adopted i had a twin. this thought entered my mind and next thing i knew i told these new friends the secret about my adoption adding the part of i had a twin, that may or may not have died at birth. you know, i'm not real sure why i lied about the twin part or why i even told them the secret. this was one of those times where i realized just how small this big old world is. see my twin friends mother worked with my aunt and some how or another everyone got to talking about my secret. next thing i know i'm at my aunts house getting yelled at for lying. i didn't say a word and took my punishment, i think mostly i was connecting the dots. see i totally knew the twin thing was a lie, but that was the day i found out i wasn't adopted which was good to know lol.

yesterday when my sister and i were revisiting this memory, she told me the reason why... i guess i was a slob. when it was time to pick up our room most of the mess was mine. she was sick and tired of her little sister the slob and she was trying to get me to carry my own weight. she was seven and well, she was at her wits end. i still laugh about this now. i think she was wanting to disown me but didn't know the right word, so that was the day i became adopted!

No comments:

Post a Comment